Friday, July 31, 2009

The Whole Chemo Hair Thing

This blog is a continual story that begins with the first posting in the Blog Archive, The Journey Begins. Click down the list to read entries, and click on arrows to reveal monthly drop-down menus.

From the very beginning, I decided on a proactive strategy for the whole chemo hair thing. My sister and I went out and bought two wigs, and I started wearing them immediately. Covering my own hair every day put me in a different frame of mind. It was as if my own hair didn't even exist. The first time I wore a wig to Whole Foods, the vitamin guy said, "Well, you're having a good hair day!" I smiled and thanked him, and knew that losing my hair was going to be a non-issue. And I didn't buy into the typical way of thinking about wigs - instead of trying to match my own hair, I decided to get a collection of wigs that were all as different from each other as possible. When I got a wild red wig and a pixie platinum one, the fun with my clothes really started. I could wear all kinds of different color combinations that looked terrible with my brown hair. Also, I made up a personality for each wig, and named them. My friends never know who's going to answer the door.

I guess my point is that losing your hair doesn't have to be a devastating experience. The fun and silly part of me has a blast with the wigs, and the spiritual warrior part of me had my head shaving ritual. Here are some pictures, starting with the spiritual warrior chemo face without any penciled-in eyebrows or eyeliner or lipstick. 

Late middle-aged chemo face

Monique, the French boutique salesgirl

Marilyn, the ditz

Viva, the aging rock star wannabe

Irina, the Russian mob girl





I would love to hear from you. To leave a comment about this posting, scroll down and type inside the white box below the heading, POST A COMMENT. Underneath the white box, it says Comment aswith a white bar that says Ria Moran (Google). Click the arrows on the right and a dropdown menu will appear. Choose name/URL and type in your name. The URL is not necessary. Or, if you wish, you may choose to leave a comment anonymously. Then click Post Comment in the next white box and your comment will be published. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Breast cancer is the second most common kind of cancer in women and is characterized by the growth of malignant tumors in the glandular tissues of the breast. While no one knows why some women develop breast cancer and others do not, several variables have been identified as risk factors for breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete