Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Year Later

This blog is a continual story that begins with the first posting in the Blog Archive, The Journey Begins. Click down the list to read entries, and click on arrows to reveal monthly drop-down menus.

I can't believe that a year has passed since my last post. It's been a difficult twelve months healthwise, but I'm finally starting to feel stronger. A year ago, I had an unexpected, traumatic complication. The radiation treatments weakened the skin on my breast so much that it could no longer hold together at my incision site. My only alternative for breast reconstruction was a surgery called a latissimus flap, in which a muscle and an area of skin is taken from the back and then re-attached to the front of the body in order to provide support for a breast implant. Sounds intense, doesn't it? Well, it is. A temporary expander was put in during the surgery, a sort of hard water balloon that's filled with a little more water every few weeks, gradually stretching the skin and tissue (painful!) until it reaches the right size. Then, in August 2010, I had another surgery to swap the temporary expander for a permanent implant. These surgeries really zapped my strength and my recuperation has been a long, hard road. I'm still in physical therapy, trying to help my body adjust.

Am I glad I did it? Yes. I just didn't want to live the rest of my life with only one breast. My reconstructed breast looks like it's been through the wars, which it has. But through the guidance of my sister, who is an expert in the therapeutic application of essential oils, I have been applying potent essential oil serums to my breast, and my scars and skin damage are healing. In fact, my plastic surgeon was so impressed by the speed that my skin was healing that he is now testing one of my sister's formulas on some other patients.



What are essential oils made from? They are extracted from flowers, fruits, leaves, bark, wood, seeds, peels and roots. An essential oil is a concentrated liquid that contains the volatile aroma compounds from the plants. They are "essential" in the sense that they carry the distinctive scent, or essence of the plant that they are extracted from. Because essential oils are very concentrated, they need to be greatly diluted with carrier oils such as almond, jojoba, hazlenut, etc. in order to formulate a healing serum. Typically, a healing serum only contains from 1% to 10% essential oil.

My sister and I have been doing a lot of research into cancer-safe body products, including moisturizers, cosmetics, and other personal care items. In fact, we have decided to launch a website that sells a variety of our favorite products along with a line of essential oil serums that my sister is creating. We're excited about this new venture! I'll set up a link on my blog when we get it started.

As far as how I've been doing emotionally, mentally and spiritually, I'll get into that on my next post!



I would love to hear from you. To leave a comment about this posting, scroll down and type inside the white box below the heading, POST A COMMENT. Underneath the white box, it says Comment as: with a white bar that says Ria Moran (Google). Click the arrows on the right and a dropdown menu will appear. Choose name/URL and type in your name. The URL is not necessary. Or, if you wish, you may choose to leave a comment anonymously. Then click Post Comment in the next white box and your comment will be published. Thank you!




1 comment:

  1. I've deleted my blog and its accompanying URL so this will be anonymous. Thank you for being a port in my storm. If you are around anywhere on the net, please advise. Namaste. Wendy

    ReplyDelete